Campus Diaries Principles
Campus Diaries was created and built with the concept of community at the core of the application. The idea was to make it easy to share relevant information among people who shared an aspect of your identity. At the same time, we are concerned about your privacy and understand that you may not want the general public to have access to the personal information that you share on Campus Diaries.
Campus Diaries follows the basic principle - You should have control over your personal information. Campus Diaries therefore allows you to control the information that you provide and share. Our default privacy settings limit the information displayed on your profile to your communities.
If you have questions or ideas, please send them to email@example.com
We at Campus Diaries ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Restrictions on use of our Site
Registration by a user who does not meet the age restriction but has either lied about this fact, otherwise misled us about it or concealed it from us shall be void, and we shall have no liability whatsoever towards such user.
When you visit Campus Diaries, you provide us with two types of information: personal information that you knowingly choose to disclose and site-use information that is collected by us as you interact with our Site.
In other words, we may collect and process the following types of data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Site. This includes data (such as name, email address or other contact information) provided at the time of registering to use our Site, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We, or our partners, may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for verification purposes, billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
You confirm and agree that all information that you provide to Campus Diaries shall be truthful, accurate, and complete.
If you choose to use our invitation service to tell a friend or potential community member about our Site, we will ask you for information needed to send the invitation, such as your friend's email address. We will automatically send your friend an email or instant message inviting him or her to visit the Site. Campus Diaries stores this information to send this invitation, to register a friend connection if your invitation is accepted, and to track the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage. For example, our servers may automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include but are not limited to information such as your web request, browser language, referring, landing / exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages. This is usually done by using one or more cookie files that are stored on the hard drive of your computer, which uniquely identify you. Cookies are pieces of data stored on users’ computers, which are tied to information about the user. They help us to improve our Site and to deliver an improved and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To confirm that you are logged in.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your use of our Site.
- To recognise you when you return to our Site.
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To tailor our service offering to the particular demographics of our user base.
Storage of your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers, where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access all or certain parts of our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We require you not to share passwords with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. We use commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Campus Diaries and you do so at your own risk.
Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and commercially reasonable security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If we learn of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Campus Diaries may post a notice on the Site if a security breach occurs.
Sharing your information
Campus Diaries is about sharing information with some people — such as friends and others in your communities and networks — while providing you with privacy settings that restrict other people from accessing your information. We allow you to choose what information you provide to friends and communities through Campus Diaries. Our architecture and your privacy settings allow you to make informed choices about who has access to your information. We do not provide contact information to third party marketers without your permission. We share your information with third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is reasonably necessary to offer the service, legally required or, permitted by you. For example, unlike most sites on the Web, Campus Diaries limits access to site information by third party search engine "crawlers" (such as Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask). Campus Diaries takes action to block access by these engines to personal information beyond your name, profile picture, and limited aggregated data about your profile or a few features that will allow for such an access. These features will be announced from time-to-time, either by email or on the Site.
Changing or removing your information
Access and control over most personal information on Campus Diaries is readily available through the profile editing tools. Campus Diaries users may modify or delete any of their profile information at any time by logging into their account. Information will be updated practically immediately.
You should be aware that when you use the Site, certain information that you post or share with third parties (for example, someone in your community or network), such as personal information, comments, messages, photos, videos, or other information, may be shared with other users in accordance with the privacy settings you select. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile or when posting comments, messages, photos, videos, or other items, this information may become publicly available and/or be collected, seen and used by others. We cannot be and are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of such information, which is voluntarily disclosed by you.
Individuals who wish to deactivate their Campus Diaries account may do so on the “Account Settings” page. Removed information may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to members of Campus Diaries. Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other individuals on Campus Diaries, however, (for example, sending a personal message to another Campus Diaries user) you generally cannot remove such communications.
Campus Diaries may send you service-related announcements or alerts from time to time through the general operation of the service. For instance, you may be informed about a specific news item being posted, an event in the community, a private message through Campus Diaries’ messaging service or a change to the service. Generally, you may opt out of such emails by changing the settings in your “Account Settings” section, although Campus Diaries reserves the right to send you notices about your account even if you opt out of all voluntary email notifications.
Our Service Providers
We may provide information to service providers who assist us with providing the Campus Diaries service to you. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers, to send out email updates about Campus Diaries, to remove repetitive information from our user lists, to process payments for products or services, or to provide search results or links (including sponsored links). In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilize third parties for the processing of any personal information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information. In other words, such third parties are not permitted to use your personal information other than provide specific services to us, and eventually, to you.
Links to other websites and services
Third Party Advertising
Use of your information
We may use information held about you in the following ways:
- To operate, maintain and provide features and functionality, and to notify you of enhancements to our Site.
- To ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us, or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To monitor the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
- To monitor metrics such as the total number of visitors, pages viewed and other statistical data.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services that may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by [sms or email].
[If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 200 women between the ages of 21-30 have clicked on their advertisement on a particular day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, men working in Bangalore). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- As described in the “Our Service Providers” section above.
- As described in the “Our Partners” section above.
- As described in the “Use of Your Information” section above.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Campus Diaries Media & Communications Private Ltd or substantially all of its assets are merged with or acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If it is necessary to protect the rights, interests, property, or safety of Campus Diaries, our users, or others, or to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the Campus Diaries service or using the Campus Diaries name, or to prevent imminent bodily harm. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies. This may include the exchanging of information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you [(before collecting your data)] if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
Governing law and Jurisdiction